Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Sister Mary Hanah, RSM writes about her experience in Rome:




What has continued to leave the greatest impression on me is the sense of the Church through the 2000 year history of our faith.  Visiting the Churches with a priest who is a very knowledgeable spiritual guide helped me to become aware of the richness of the faith in a way that I had not seen before.  In the midst of this, one of the graces of this time for me has been the opportunity to reflect upon my own identity as a religious woman and my place in the Church, and to respond to my vocation in a more authentic way as a creature before my Creator.

We have had gifted and remarkable priests who have guided us through this time together.  Their love and knowledge of the Church, the spiritual life, and religious life has shaped this time.  It was my experience that the faith of the early Christians we witnessed in the tombs of the martyrs and confessors, and those who built the magnificent 430 Churches in Rome, was exemplified in a poignant and living way through the faith in Christ and love for His Church that the priest presenters shared with us.  Their presence gave this time a deeply ecclesial character.

One would be remiss not to mention the delightful time we have had together as a group composed of 11 Sisters from five different CMSWR communities.  If only we could share with you the laughing and playful teasing that has gone on at our dinner table in the evenings!  We have truly enjoyed one another.  I am grateful to have come to know these Sisters who love their vocations deeply and radiate the joy of dedicating one's life to the Lord.

1 comment: